Aamchi Mumbai…Down the memory lane

               As I listen to the rain pouring down amidst the thunder and lightning, I ‘m reminded of my trip to Mumbai a week ago. I happened to pay a visit to Mumbai to meet one of my close friends visiting for vacation. It was indeed a much-needed break to get out on my solitary walks and explore new places.

              After a hectic week, I took my early morning flight to Mumbai at 5.30 AM on 18th May 2019. It was an early early start, I happened to reach the airport early and all prepped up to board the flight all in good time. There were many fellow passengers from different flavors and streams of the world. A group of ladies/ teachers going on a trip with all their loud talks and silly jokes., but were enjoying their time during the flight. Airports / buses, etc can offer the most entertaining and interesting insights about life, people and the different perceptions. I find it quite interesting.



              All along my flight I was relishing the early morning sights out of my window, waves of clouds all lit up in orangish hue from the rising sun. I reached Chatrapati Shivaji International airport in an hour which was also ahead of schedule by 7.10 AM. I took a cab to reach Borivali West to my friend’s place. It was quite early when I reached their home. It was as if I was delivered to my destination on an expedited scheduleJ.



  
              It was good to meet my friends. However, it was a joint family and I happened to meet all the sweet people. I was new to them and it was early in the morning where every household would have their daily chores to finish. I was little bit uncomfortable initially. Later as I met one person after another, it got better. Everyone was so accommodating and friendly even though they did not know meJI had a most snackilicious breakfast that morning. All the Dhokla, Fafda with Green papaya masala, Jalebi and ginger tea. It was scrumptious.

               Then in the noon I found a new place to explore near by – the Mandapeshwar Caves and we ventured out in the hot sun to explore. My friends were  not aware of such a place even though they lived their entire life thereJ. So it was a first time for them too.




              It was indeed a man-made Caves, more like a monastery with rooms which were ruins but were still having its charm and a historical site. There were clear indication that it was man made and chiseled out of the rock with Lord Shiva as the main deity which was quite elegant. Some of the pillars were intact with all intricate carvings and designs of the Mauryan era similar to Elephanta caves. I could clearly see that these were ruins with lot of history hidden beneath but less known and could’ve been maintained better.









             After this afternoon stroll in the summer heat we needed something to cool down..so we explored Borivali west until we found a Café Coffee Day to chill with a cold coffeeJ. In a way I also got a chance to explore Borivali West side.We headed back to home to take a break before we started to Juhu Chowpati beach in the night. 




            We started around 5.30 PM to first pay a visit to Iskon temple before we reach Chowpati.  It was like travelling from North to South, so it took an hour to reach Iskon. The temple was indeed so festive and right time for the aarti that it was quite a sight to watch. The architecture is quite good and the deities were really elegant and beautiful. After a quick round, we were trying to reach Juhu Chowpati .




           Juhu Chowpati is one of the most famous places in Mumbai. It is known for several celebrity residences spread around Juhu and the beach is the popular spot which all rich and poor alike like to linger around.



           It has the beautiful beach with sea waves making its way along the beach with the most soothing sounds and views. Also, it is famous for the various eateries stalls all lined up in a single spot. We can have any kind of junk food or snacky food like Pav Bhaji, chats, Gola and large variety of snacks.
The biggest surprise was that the whole family joined me for this outing. I felt really special as I was a guest and new to them, but still they made time to join me and take me to these amazing places like their own family member. I would never forget that sweet gesture.


           As we started from Iskon temple, we were looking for auto ride to reach the beach. It was 20 mins walk from there. This place was so busy that it was like hunting for birds in hunger games. Autos were taken by other fellow passengers like hot cakes. The moment they come they are takenJ. It was fun to see that we were scouting in all directions to find the ride as we had some members who could’nt walk that long. Then we had one of the cousin planning to do some pickup and drop service on his bikeJ.  As we just started…we luckily found the autos and we headed to Juhu Chowpaty. I was enjoying every moment, these small experiences, the people, the fun we were having in all this action. We finally reached the beach and was welcomed by a beautiful statue of Shivaji Maharaj looking towards the beach. It was very cool.

                                         

           It was a full moon night and the tides were much much higher than normal days. It was perfect. Cool breeze with salty air, sound of waves, many many families, couples, kids, friends all choosing their spots and relaxing on the beach. I was enjoying the entire view, relaxing under the moonlight. I also tried Pav bhaji, Tava Pulao, some very interesting garlic bhaji, chana de chaat. Then went for a stroll along the beach to touch the waters. It was dark, yet we could see it was not as clean as you may expect it to be. But still a place worth visiting for the experience. I had been to this place long long ago in my college , so it was like reliving those moments.





                         Few of my friend’s cousins were also encouraging me to try out different chaats, we also had a variety of gola – Kalakhatta, mixed fruit flavours. It was amazing. I even went around to explore what all kind of stalls we have as the family were having their snacks. Its quite an interesting place. I really had a good time. We stayed till late  headed back at around 10.30ish. After that all cousins in the home sat there talking for long until midnight and maybe beyondJ teasing each other and talking about all sorts of things, made me feel quite at home.





            Next day, I had booked a hotel on the Marine drive, Hotel Marine Plaza since I wanted to have that experience to get a view of the Sea side as I wake upJ. I booked a room in Hotel Marine Plaza which is 5 mins away from Wankede Stadium and just beside the Marine drive. It was an amazing place with awesome view.

                                                        

             Before I get there we started my second day with the plan to visit Siddi Vinayak Mandir, Haji Ali and Marine drive. We started around noon and first planned to checkin to my hotel and then go around. The drive in itself was like Mumbai Darshan since it was again a right form North to Southern end of Mumbai via the Sea Link. It was more than an hour’s drive to the hotel. Since its summer it was quite humid and hot outside, so as we reached the hotel to checkin it felt like heaven to relax in the hotel room.
I had my friends with me when I checked in to the hotel, they were surprised for a moment when I said I’m the only person staying thereJ. The expression was awesome.




             Hotel Marine Plaza is a very nice place with great interiors and the best part is the sea facing room which I chose. As I entered the room, the first view of the sea was so amazing that I felt its all worth the money. I could see the entire queen’s necklace with the Mumbai city downtown view. I felt like I was in Seattle or New York for that matter where we could enjoy such views from water front. It made me bit nostalgic.






Along the route I happened to see Antillia – Ambani’s home, Lata Mangeshkarji’s apartments, maybe few more but since I was not much interested in such stuff I din bother to know.




              After the brief relaxation, we first headed out to have some lunch at Sukh Sagar which was a South Indian restaurant which my friends seem to like. After lunch we went straight to Siddi Vinayak Mandir. I was anticipating long lines before we could get the darshan. Luckily we got the darshan quite quickly and just in good time coz they just stopped all folks after 5 mins behind us. The darshan was really nice and very peaceful.  However it was more interesting to see the whole variety of modaks that were sold in the shops around the temple. I never knew that there could be so many variations of one dessert. People are quite creative.



             From there , we then moved on to Haaji Ali which is a durgah at the edge of water leading into the sea. This was around 30 mins away and we took a taxi to reach Haaji Ali.

             Haaji Ali is also a famous place in Mumbai and people have great faith. Since it was Ramadan , it was filled with people paying a visit to offer their prayers/ to get the blessings. Lot of stalls with all sorts of items all along.

            To reach Haaji Ali, we have to walk around 7 mins along a path made with water on both sides. We walked along the path leading to the durgah and received the blessings and headed back. If the weather was better, would’ve lingered on for few more minutes. It was almost 6 pm and time for roza where folks break their fast and have their food during this month. It was gonna be crowded, so we din want to stay there for long.
We again took the taxi to reach our hotel. 





             Also, I was eager to see the sunset from Marine drive. We reached the hotel just in time..relaxed for few mins and I could see the sunset starting from my room. I was just sitting beside the window and enjoying the view. We then went out to the beach to sit in the open space to enjoy the sunset. It was so amazing that I din want to move. We sat there for an hour or so before it started getting dark and my friends had to travel back to Borivali to their home. Around 8.30 they got the taxi to home and they started.




             I was alone , so I went out on my solitary ramble to explore the places around. It was quite an interesting walk. Before I headed out I went back to marine drive and sat there again for half an hour or so to enjoy the views of the lighted up downtown and the queen’s necklace . It was so beautiful and relaxing. I could see that there were lot of people still sitting and relaxing along the marine drive. It was like the city never sleeps in the literal sense. Even my friend’s cousins were mentioning the same that they get more variety of street food late in the nights since people seem to be up till late.





            After relaxing I went for a walk to see the Wankhede stadium. There was a match going on, so I just saw it from outside and walked back to have some Jackfruit icecream from ‘Naturals’ and picked up some garlic bread for dinner. It was again full moon night,so the view, the breeze the lights, streets were all complimenting to each other adding to the beauty of the evening. I really had a good time. I went back to the hotel and had my dinner looking out at the view and relishing the experience.                             




            I was planning to see the sunrise as well of possible the next day, so woke up quite early..but not sufficient enough I guess. As I woke up and saw outside people are already jogging and already on their walks along the marine drive.  It seems as though I was late and it was just 6.30 am in the morning. Still I ventured out and wanted to walk upto the end of the marine drive stretch. There is this movie which I like quite a bit ‘Wake Up Sid’ which has some scenes along the marine drive. I wanted to get a glimpse of those places if I could.







            It was a very pleasant walk in the morning when the air is quite refreshing yet has the smell of salty air. Interesting thing is that the water seems to recede and I could actually see the beach and some rocks amidst the seaside which was not visible the previous day due to the tides. But within a couple of hours the water receded back and covered up the beach. Mother nature has her own ways of doing things. I find that quite interesting. I reached the end point of Marine drive and there is this small path that leads to the edge of water at the end. That path was really nice as the view on all three sides is so different. I stayed there for sometime before I walked back.

                                      

                                   

            I had my flight at 4.30 in the evening, but wanted to reach airport earlier since there was gonna  be traffic. I freshened up, and was planning to visit some mall to spend some time before I start back to the airport. I took a taxi and din know what destination to chose. I remember seeing  Pheonix mall previous day, so I requested the taxi driver to take me there. I went to the Phoenix High street mall. It was around 45 mins drive, but seemed closer to airport too. So I went there and felt like I was back in Bellevue mall with all the well known brands and similar shops in this place. I felt quite at home actually and started exploring. After having a quick bite at Burger King I then headed back to airport.




           Another small interesting detail is that I wanted to get some Bombay halwa which is one of the iconic sweets from Mumbai and surprisingly most mumbaites din seem to know much about itJ. I checked with the taxi driver if he could take me to such a place before I reach airport. He was not aware of any.I found some famous place in Vile Parle area, which was closer to the airport and we went there as a detour before the airport. In that pretext I happened to explore Vile Parle as well. As we somehow reached the destination, I found that these stores take day off on  Mondays instead of SundaysJ. I was laughing inside so much that even after so much exploring and finding the spot it was of no use. I could’nt find the dessert I was looking for. The driver was sweet enough to reach out to his contacts to find alternate place, but nothing that there were aware of. I then took the ride back to airport after this fun ride. I boarded the flight and headed back home.






          But my trip din seem to end there. The views from my window was amazing. The cloud formations were amazing improving and getting more denser as I reached home. It was like watching a whole fleet of floating islands in the clouds, some places like the grand canyon with pillars of clouds strewn all along in beautiful formations, some places like the tip of the ice berg but lot of drama happening beneath the surface. By the time I reached Bangalore it was around 7 pm and I took a ride back home.








         On the whole I had a most interesting and entertaining trip to Mumbai. Be it with taxi rides, the people, the place all bustling with life and action. But felt good to be back home as there is no better place than that.

         At times, we all need to stay still and have some reflection time and live in the present to enjoy the small wonders that life presents before us and always believe in yourself and be happy:).





-       Nirmala









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I BELIEVE

Its Autumn...

A day in spring...